I started this site as a resource to pastors and church leaders who might want more background on the words of Scripture. There’s so much Bible, it can be exhausting to go through commentaries, dictionaries and word lists. I’m hoping that by collating this work – and providing a few notes along the way – I can help reduce the stress of preparing to preach. This site will include word studies for the lectionary passages one week before they are due to be preached.
There’s so much Bible, and so little time…
But when there’s so little time, there’s So Much Bible!
On the creative side, I also write plays for use in worship, which are biblically grounded and full of humor. We’ve enjoyed presenting these in worship, with adults and children alike, and I’m happy to offer them for others to use.
Everything on this site is licensed through Creative Commons – which means that, as long as you attribute me (Rev. Elana Keppel Levy) and don’t sell my work, you’re welcome to use it in your context, and modify it as you like.
Lectionary Texts for Next Sunday
- Psalm 130“out of the depths I cry to you, O Lord” Ordinary B37 August 8, 2021
- 2 Samuel 18:5-9, 15, 31-33“his head caught fast in the oak, and he was let hanging between heaven and hearth” Ordinary B37 August 8, 2021
- 1 Kings 19:4-8“get up and eat, otherwise the journey will be too much for you” Ordinary B37 August 8, 2021
- Psalm 34“the Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit” Ordinary B37 August 8, 2021
- Ephesians 4:25-5:2“do not let the sun go down on your anger” Ordinary B37 August 8, 2021
- John 6:35, 41-51“the bread that I will give for the life of the world is my flesh” Ordinary B37 August 8, 2021
- Psalm 46“be still, and know that I am God” Narrative Lectionary August 8, 2021
- Acts 2:37-42“they devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and fellowship” Narrative Lectionary August 8, 2021
- Revelation 4:1-11“on each side of the throne, are four living creatures” Narrative Lectionary August 8, 2021
- John 17:1-5“Father, glorify me in your own presence” Narrative Lectionary August 8, 2021