I started this site as a resource to pastors and church leaders who might want more background on the words of Scripture. There’s so much Bible, it can be exhausting to go through commentaries, dictionaries and word lists. I’m hoping that by collating this work – and providing a few notes along the way – I can help reduce the stress of preparing to preach. This site will include word studies for the lectionary passages one week before they are due to be preached.
There’s so much Bible, and so little time…
But when there’s so little time, there’s So Much Bible!
On the creative side, I also write plays for use in worship, which are biblically grounded and full of humor. We’ve enjoyed presenting these in worship, with adults and children alike, and I’m happy to offer them for others to use.
Everything on this site is licensed through Creative Commons – which means that, as long as you attribute me (Rev. Elana Keppel Levy) and don’t sell my work, you’re welcome to use it in your context, and modify it as you like.
Lectionary Texts for Next Sunday
- Acts 16:9-15“she was from the city of Thyatira and a dealer in purple cloth” Eastertide C26 May 22, 2022
- Psalm 67“let all the people praise you” Eastertide C26 May 22, 2022
- Revelation 21:10, 22-22:5“the angel showed me the river of the water of life” Eastertide C26 May 22, 2022
- John 14:23-29“if you loved me, you would rejoice that I am going to the Father” Eastertide C26 May 22, 2022
- John 5:1-9“whoever stepped in first after the stirring of the water was made well” Eastertide C26 May 22, 2022
- Philippians 1:1-18a“I thank my God every time I remember you” Narrative Lectionary 444 May 22, 2022
- Luke 9:46-48“whoever welcomes this child in my name welcomes me” Narrative Lectionary 444 May 22, 2022
- Acts 17: 1-4, 10-12“it was necessary for the Messiah to suffer and to rise from the dead” A Women’s Lectionary 26 May 22, 2022
- Deuteronomy 28:58-68“the Lord will bring you back in ships to Egypt, by a route that I promised you would never see again” A Women’s Lectionary 26 May 22, 2022
- Psalm 145:8-19“the Lord is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth” A Women’s Lectionary 26 May 22, 2022
- Romans 6:5-11“if we have been united with him in a death like his, we will certainly be united with him in a resurrection like his” A Women’s Lectionary 26 May 22, 2022
Daniel joins other exiles around the campfire to share tales of what it’s like in Nebuchadnezzar’s palace. As Daniel tells stories, the Hebrew people reenact them, doing send-ups of the tyrant who makes their lives miserable, holding onto the faith the holds them together. Based on Daniel 2-4.