I started this site as a resource to pastors and church leaders who might want more background on the words of Scripture. There’s so much Bible, it can be exhausting to go through commentaries, dictionaries and word lists. I’m hoping that by collating this work – and providing a few notes along the way – I can help reduce the stress of preparing to preach. This site will include word studies for the lectionary passages one week before they are due to be preached.
There’s so much Bible, and so little time…
But when there’s so little time, there’s So Much Bible!
On the creative side, I also write plays for use in worship, which are biblically grounded and full of humor. We’ve enjoyed presenting these in worship, with adults and children alike, and I’m happy to offer them for others to use.
Everything on this site is licensed through Creative Commons – which means that, as long as you attribute me (Rev. Elana Keppel Levy) and don’t sell my work, you’re welcome to use it in your context, and modify it as you like.
Lectionary Texts for Next Sunday
- Jeremiah 1:4-10“I do not know how to speak, for I am only a boy” Ordinary C39 August 21, 2022
- Psalm 71:1-6“you, O Lord, are my hope, my trust, O Lord, from my youth” Ordinary C39 August 21, 2022
- Isaiah 58:9b-14“offer your food to the hungry and satisfy the needs of the afflicted” Ordinary C39 August 21, 2022
- Psalm 103:1-8“the Lord is merciful and gracious” Ordinary C39 August 21, 2022
- Hebrews 12:18-29“innumerable angels in festal gathering” Ordinary C39 August 21, 2022
- Luke 13:10-17“she was bent over and was quite unable to stand up straight” Ordinary C39 August 21, 2022
- Ruth 2:1-23“please, let me glean and gather among the sheaves behind the reapers” Narrative Lectionary August 21, 2022
- Luke 6:36-38“a good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over” Narrative Lectionary August 21, 2022
- 1 Samuel 14:49-51 & 18:17-21, 29“Saul’s daughter Michal loved David” A Women’s Lectionary 39 August 21, 2022
- Psalm 31:1-7, 14-16, 19-24“in you, O Lord, I seek refuge” A Women’s Lectionary 39 August 21, 2022
- Romans 13:8-10“love does not wrong to a neighbor” A Women’s Lectionary 39 August 21, 2022
Daniel joins other exiles around the campfire to share tales of what it’s like in Nebuchadnezzar’s palace. As Daniel tells stories, the Hebrew people reenact them, doing send-ups of the tyrant who makes their lives miserable, holding onto the faith the holds them together. Based on Daniel 2-4.